Nakovana is an area near Loviste, with two villages Upper and Lower Nakovana in its center. These villages are now deserted and their descendants now live in neighboring villages of Viganj, Kučište and Loviste.
It is assumed that the area of Nakovana was settled 8000 years ago, evidenced by the remains from the Neolithic period. Archaeologists sumbeld on the Nakovana Cave in 1999, Illyrian richest site in the world. Thousands of different items, bones, ceramics, quartz were discovered as well as a phallus shape stalagmite (Illyrian sanctuary of fertility) where various cult rituals were allegedly carried out from 4th till 1st century BC.
Furthermore around Nakovana there are many historical buildings such as the Illyrian hill GRAD, a natural fortress further defined by walls, used for attacks on Greek and Roman merchant ships and the Illyrian burial lots. There are also medieval churches like the Church of St. George and the Church of Our Lady Mary, which is first mentioned in the 14th century but dates most likely from the 12th or 13th century. Lower Nakovana is the birthplace of Ivan Lupis Vukic, the inventor of torpedo, and hopefully soon an archeological museum.
Thanks to the Association UZORNA Nakovana it is now a protected area, and a destination visited by many tourists. Every year on September 8th the Feast of the Nativity of Mary is held with an all-day cultural and entertaining program, during which up to 1000 people from all over the peninsula visit Nakovana. District Nakovana is a good example of responsible behavior and preservation of cultural and historical values in tourism